Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Resolutions?




RESOLUTION
-a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.

This word………….the hype every year……the tradition. What will it be? Exercise more? Eat better? Spend less? Spend more time with family? Get a better job? Get into a relationship that actually lasts?
Most of these really come down to a goal for our personal self. Many of these resolutions we never really come close to accomplishing (at least for me). I guess if you look at the definition, the determination is lacking for many of us. So what is it that bogs us down from meeting our goal? The craziness of work, coming home exhausted, worrying about making ends meet, spending as much time possible with the family. It is hard to make a resolution for the self with all of this going on. The last thing I want to do after working with crazy kids all day is to come home and go for a run. I also don’t find it too inviting to freeze my ass off in January. Yes, of course I will continue working as hard trying to do all of those things that people usually pick as resolutions. However, this year I’m going to work on smaller (but challenging) attainable goals that don’t have to do with exercise or money. This year I’m focusing on many resolutions that I have time for and can attain.
Considering this blog is all about my education, I’ve learned enough about what I need to work on as a husband, father, and teacher. I know that there are many more where these come from!
Hear, Ye! Hear, Ye! I give you my top 10 list of 2011………
1.       Always look at wife when she is talking to me. I can say I hear everything when I’m not looking at her, but she has learned to call me on it and I usually fail.
2.       When the kids are yelling “Daddy! Daddy!” be sure I acknowledge the or else the walls will come down.  
3.       Cleaning up after dinner is better than waiting until the morning. Why? Considering we are always running late anyways, we can’t do it in the morning. When does it get done you ask? Right before dinner the next day.
4.       Maybe I can actually keep my room clean by folding clothes (however…..this one seems to always fail). I’ve gotten used to it though……it makes me feel at home. Ok…..I’m just trying to make myself feel better……usually I feel like a slob. Where’s the maid?
5.       When I get on the computer when the kids are playing, turn it off and play Barbies with them instead. I know what kind of genitalia I have. Fathers……it’s ok to do this. I just need to do more of it. Now….I admit there could be a problem if you are caught playing with Barbies without your daughters.
6.       Actually pick up certain things behind the bathroom door in the morning after I take a shower (Keely…..that one is for you). It’s not as bad as you think.
7.       As a teacher, I need to make more of an effort connecting with parents at home. When it comes down to it, the parents are the real reason that their kids can be little shits. I’ll do what I can, which usually means little or nothing, but at least I will try.
8.       Teach what I want to teach. I’m tired of being told what to always do. Where has the joy of teaching gone? Of course, I will have to plan the instruction in a way that “fits” with the district vision. However, two can play this game……booya!
9.       Spend less time on Facebook (and/or Internet) and more time in a book. Yes…..I’m sure it is very common. However, maybe I can actually read a book this next year and can have conversations with my students and spouse about them. If only I didn’t get so tired and could actually read more than 15 minutes at a time!
10.   Keep up on this blog! Only time will tell if I can actually do this. My life has always been wicked busy. However, actually being creative in some way is important.
This year, I challenge you to work on the little things. The little things can make the world of difference in your lives. Let me know how it goes! I would love to hear comments. If you relate in some way I’d love to hear about it! ;)

SB6RRP98YYA9